You know I love lists. I love lists of lists. I have since I was a little girl who stayed up all night creating towns with rosters and maps and stories. Are there writers who don’t make lists? I think one of the great things about being a writing human is being able to make a list.
When I was young and searching for my mate, I used to dream up qualities I longed for. I showed someone my list once, and he said, “Put that list in your shoe.” I am not sure exactly what he meant by that, but I think he was telling me to keep my mind open, but keep that list as my foundation.
Sylvia Clare MSc. Psychol just wrote this great post about the lists of her life. Thanks for the tag! She’s 20 years ahead of me on this journey, but I found out we have many of the same things on our lists. Great to know you better.
Here are some of my life’s lists:
Some of my favorite travel experiences
- Sea Kayaking (while newly pregnant) in Vancouver, BC with my husband on our honeymoon.
- Several summer solstices spent dancing on the baseball field at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival in Telluride, Colorado.
- Looking out over the Aegean Sea from the Temple of Poseidon.
- Traveling by Eurail to nine different countries in a month.
- Hiking to the top of two ‘fourteeners’ in Colorado: Mount Princeton and Quandary Peak.
- Hiking into Owl and Fish Canyons to see the Anasazi ruins.
- Backpacking in the rain from Tennessee to Virginia on the Appalachian Trail.
- Winning a whirlwind trip to London and Paris though a Eurostar promotional raffle.
- Going to Amsterdam for free for carrying a friend’s guitar after he moved there.
- San Francisco with my husband. He proposed there on Russian Hill.
The places I’ve lived
Some more stick with me my whole life favorites (I like a lot of stuff, but these are the stick in my shoe foundational perennials)
Movie: Stand by Me
Show: West Wing and Six Feet Under
Book: The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Kid’s movie: The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth
Author: Margaret Atwood, Joyce Carol Oates
Band: Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead
The jobs I’ve had (other than writing)
Babysitter, Camp Counselor, Pet Store Clerk, Waitress, Prep Cook, Hostess, Teacher. I was a waitress or worked in restaurants for 13 years. I have been a teacher for 22 years.
Tag me so I can read!
Samantha Lazar 2020 approaching 46…